Monday, July 31, 2017

Out with the Old...

I'm 2 weeks out from finally getting back to the starting line after my long summer lay-off.  It's exciting to be healthy and relatively fit again, but my excitement went up a notch last week with the delivery of my new Dimond Marquise frame!  Originally slated to be delivered back in May, I pushed myself back in the delivery line due to the impending hernia surgery.  Now that I have the new frame, I can say it was worth the wait!  Here's the before/after pictures worthy of a diet infomercial:
Out with the old...
In with the new!
My old frame was an early model "Brilliant" frame (well, I had it before that was the official name) and after the first hundred miles, I'm impressed with the improvements Dimond has made with the Marquise.  With all of my favorite components being transferred over from the old frame, it's been a pretty straight forward comparison between the two frames.  The internal storage will be nice for IM racing, but the little improvements are what I've noticed more than anything.  I'm sure there is a bit of 'new bike placebo', but there's more to this frame than a new coat of paint.

First, the bike has always been stiff and solid, but the new frame takes it to a new level.  The improved tube shapes seem to be well thought out and out of the saddle climbing is as good as my road bike.  The added carbon for the layup of storage features may add a bit more weight, but I'll take that hit any day for the added storage aerodynamics and improved ride quality. When paired with the Alto wheels, the bike almost handles itself!  Second, the connection point of the frame have improved.  The Superfork seems to have improved the cover interface/magnets and turn-stop mechanism to avoid the fork hitting the down tube is better while the seat post clamp has also been improved and has been rock solid.  Finally, in my opinion, the overall frame design is a more attractive design more closely approximating a supercar or jet plane. The deeper chords and tube shapes are noticeable.  The bottom bracket area is cleaned up and the rear stays have been re-worked. In all, the marginal gains seem to produce an all around better bike.  
In all her glory...
I've had a good run with my old rusty frame including a few wins/bike primes but it's time to trade in for a younger, prettier model (hopefully not giving my wife any ideas).  The old frame is available for sale if anyone is interested, though I'm loathe to let it go.  I'm looking forward to putting the bike to good use at Steelhead in two weeks, see you there!

Next week, I'll be writing about two more new toys from blueseventy and Alto Wheels.  Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment