Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Colonial Beach Weekend

I'm officially 5 weeks post surgery today and happy to report that the I'm back to 100% training load. Unfortunately, training load does not equal fitness and I have a long way to go before I toe the line at Steelhead 70.3 in just over 4 weeks.  I'm thankful to Dr. Procter and the surgical team at VCU for getting me fixed up, but there's no procedure that can get me back into shape!  The road ahead is a bit daunting, but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do.  

The first step on the road back took place this weekend at the Colonial Beach Triathlon.  The Saturday sprint race followed by the Sunday Olympic race would be a good test to see if my body could handle ramping up the intensity.  I went into the weekend fully prepared to pull the plug if something felt off.  Luckily, all systems are go... kind of!

Out of T1
Both races followed a similar pattern.  I swam at the front (aided by a speedy young guy on the sprint who I mercilessly drafted),  rode a power that would normally frustrate me at the 70.3 distance, and survived trying to run faster than I had in a long time.  I took the opportunity to go through the motions of racing including transitions, gear, and nutrition.  Of note, I broke in my new Wattie Ink. kit and the new PN3 ISM saddle (My new favorite, review to come).  Having consistent sponsors and gear over the years really does make racing predictable and smooth.  I was very happy that the only variable I had to deal with was my body.

Trying not to vomit
The new Wattie Ink. kit have looked good (perhaps a bit tight... need to work on that race weight) but the legs weren't pretty.  I was happy to be able to push myself on both days but I didn't do my ego any favors.  I'd only ran 9 times in the past 5 weeks coming into the weekend and while the time is irrelevant, but I'm happy to report that I set a new "fastest mile" record on the Gamin, eclipsing my previous 7:00 record.   Not bad for someone hoping to hold sub 6 min/miles for 13.1 in a few weeks.

Out of T2... can't see the tears
All in all, it was a successful weekend and I'm looking forward to moving forward with a full training load.  I was 50-50 in my handicapped races with friends, got to spend a camping weekend with Sid and Ashley, and got to re-discover the joy of local racing.  While the specific details of my performance are more of a starting point than a final result, I came away feeling as if I'd accomplished what I set out to do.  My hope is to continue that trend over the coming weeks.  
Thanks for reading and for all of the support I've received during the time off.  


Probably Blacked out by this point

3 comments:

  1. glad to see your weekend went well. good luck on getting back 100%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good, stay healthy, and good luck getting to where you want to be over the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete