Saturday, April 18, 2015

Time to Race!


The off-season is finally over and it's race week!  I'm in New Orleans getting ready for my first 70.3 of the year.  I'm starting a busy first half of the season with six races between now and the end of June.  While most of my time has been occupied with fooling around with Sidney, I have had enough time to put in some solid preparation for the season.  I'm looking forward to getting back to the start line and testing my fitness.  Here are a few shots of my typical strength session:



I'm heading into the season with a bunch of great support from family, friends, and sponsors.  As I enter my 8th season as a professional, I have been lucky to have long time sponsors First Endurance, BlueSeventy, ISM Saddles, and Utopian Coffee on board.  Richmond-based Peluso Open Water and Carytown Bikes have been fantastic the past few years and I'm happy to welcome Wattie Ink and Dimond Bikes to the fold. Racing at this level can be tough and unpredictable, so having great people in my corner makes all the difference as I tough out the hard training sessions and lay it on the line race day.   More than the logos on my fancy new kit, the support of everyone behind the scenes means the world to me.  My family and friends (even my wife who won't read this) share every success that I have.  Thank you to everyone who has helped me make a go of this crazy endeavor.


Assuming this season goes well and I am able to come away with a bit of prize money, I will again be supporting the Blazeman Foundation.  The story of Jon Blais inspired me early in my career and continues to do so today.  If you don't know why I roll across the line at some races, you can read about it HERE.  New for this year, I will also be supporting the Cameron K Gallagher Foundation.  I have been lucky to get to know the Gallaghers in the past year and have been blown away by their incredibly positive drive to honor their daughter's legacy.  You can read Cameron's story HERE.  As I continue to pursue the ultimately selfish goal of professional racing, I want to make sure I'm helping support something bigger than myself and remind the people I meet of what is truly important.


I'll be updating the site after 70.3 Galveston next weekend, but you can follow me in the coming weeks at www.ironman.com and through social media.  Thanks for reading!


1 comment: