Saturday, December 27, 2014

Happy Holidays!

For an endurance athlete, the Holiday season is rife with advice.  How to keep your weight in check.  How to fit in your training around family time.  How to navigate social temptations.  How to stay focused on your upcoming season....  Basically, how to drive yourself crazy.  While it's true that hard work in the winter is generally one of the most sure-fire ways to have a great summer, that doesn't mean that you have be a Grinch this season.

I must admit that I have to fight my inner neurosis to go out and log a few extra miles instead of visiting with out-of-town family.  How can I let myself relax when I have a race coming in 5 months? (sarcasm... but this actually comes into my crazy mind! I've eaten a bit differently, stayed up a bit late, and am not in race shape.. but a few low key (or, gasp, OFF) days will probably do me good in the long run.  The holidays come at a perfect time to allow for a bit of leeway and celebration, so take advantage of it!

Sidney has done more stair work than I have!

For me, this year has been a bit special with Sidney coming into the picture.  She's still too young to really know what's going on, but she gives me a bit of a reality check and a reason to put things in perspective.  She's also given me the present of daycare illness to ensure that I don't go sneaking off to run in the middle of quality family time...  Don't worry, I introduced her to lemons as a thank you for getting me sick!


Have a great holiday season and enjoy the New Year!  Celebrate 2014 and take a step back from the relentless pursuit of fitness.  If you have big goals for 2015, take the time to enjoy the people around you who are going to help you make them happen.  There's plenty of time for training, focus, and stress just around the corner.  


No comments:

Post a Comment