Sunday, June 30, 2013

Mid Season Break

Coming off a solid 3 months of racing and a great result at Rev3 Williamsburg, this week has been a time to unplug and recover.  I've only started 5 races this season, and many athletes do WAY more racing than I do.  However, if I've learned anything over the past few years, it's that my body can't handle sustained training/racing without breaking down.  I started building up for the season over 6 months ago, so despite only racing for less than 13 hours this season, I know it's time to reset.  

Thanks to Michael Hutto for the shot!
The temptation, especially after the win, is to push the limits and carry my form into a few more races.  The argument goes:  "You're a pro, that's what you do, RACE!".  My response would be simply that I want to race well, not often.  Quality, not quantity is my goal (How many 10th place finishes do you need to equal one win?).  I pulled off a great taper race at Williamsburg with the ever-helpful input of Matt at The Sport Factory, but it's not possible to do a full taper many times in a year.  If I want to continue to improve and race well, I need to let my body rest.

Having the confidence to take a step back is tough and many age group athletes (and pros) never allow themselves to do it.  I know it's been difficult this week for me even though I know it's what I need.  Short, easy rides and runs along with a few laps of floating in the pool keep the blood pumping and facilitate recovery.  I don't know how many times I've been passed out on the road.  Men, women, small children, turtles, you name it.  I don't think I've run a mile faster than 7:30 pace or put out more than 200w all week.  My last ride averaged 14 mph, just over 1/2 the speed of Williamsburg!  The only thing I've worked hard at is trying to beat my dog at what he does best:


I'm looking forward to getting back to work but still have a few days to wait.  Ashley just finished her 2nd year of residency and is taking a few days off.  Our 8 year Anniversary is coming up on the 3rd, so I don't think sitting on the bike for hours is the way to celebrate!  There's plenty of time to be sore and tired before my next race at Rev3 Wisconsin.  For now, I'll let myself be fat, lazy, and happy.

Enjoy your century rides and 18 mile runs!

No comments:

Post a Comment