Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Syracuse 70.3 Nutrition Report

Fueling for a 4 hour race is a bit different from the sub 2 hour races that I've done up until this point in the season.  That, combined with the cold temperatures, made this race a bit interesting from a nutrition standpoint.    
62 degree water should not steam like this!
Leading up to the race, I followed my normal routine as much as possible.  I generally cook my food for every meal, but when traveling this is next to impossible.  Luckily, I was able to score a bit of home cooked and local restaurant food in the days prior to racing.  Saturday night, I went for a Blimpie sub for convenience and loads of sodium that comes with processed meats.  Not necessarily an everyday food choice, but it hit the spot!  I made sure to finish my meal by 7am 12 hours before the start of the race.

Race morning started with my normal oatmeal with bananas, honey, peanut butter, cinnamon, walnuts, and blueberries (I brought my own and almost NEVER start a day differently).  I sipped on EFS while driving to the race site and embracing the cold.

That's frost on the ground... Great!
Half way through warm up and roughly 40 minutes before race start, I consumed the 'holy hand grenade' of First Endurance liquid shot, pre-race, and water.  The mix of carbohydrates and caffiene really gets me ready to attack the race.  I use 1 1/2 scoops and 3/4 flask.  I sipped water after that up until the cannon was fired.

On the bike,  I chose to use the liquid shot mixed with water for the majority of my ride.  I had a dilute EFS solution as my second bottle, but due to the low temperature my body needed the calories more than the electrolytes.  I consumed roughly 700 calories throughout the ride and finished both of my bottles right before entering T2. 

On the run, I take a liquid shot with me and sip on it before every aid station where I grab water.  I do this because I'm used to the First Endurance products and don't like to change it up on race day.  I generally go through 3/4 of the flask and take 1-2 cups of water each aid station (drinking only 2-3 sips and dumping the rest on my head).  In the run picture below you can see the flask in my right hand if you look hard enough...


After the race, I have Ultragen waiting and try to get to it as soon as possible.  Post race food usually takes me an hour or so before I feel like eating it, so getting the Ultragen in during the first 30 minutes is key!  The last 24 hours have been all about re-hydrating and re-fueling.  Two days after the race, if I treat my body right I'm ready to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment